Hello MGSD families,
As you may be aware, this week, in particular, the influenza has made its way to Iredell County and the Mooresville Graded School District with several staff and students being diagnosed. We wanted to let you know that we are carefully monitoring attendance rates for both students and staff and have been in contact with the Iredell County Health Department. We realize, especially at the secondary schools, that absences are a concern for our students. Should your child miss more than the required days for the semester, special consideration will be given for influenza through the attendance appeals process. Make sure you keep your medical documentation and submit the appropriate documentation to you student’s school to have absences excused.
If your child has flu-like symptoms, please call your doctor and follow the steps below:
- Please DO NOT send your child back to school until they have been fever free for 24 hours (without medication).
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. After using a tissue, throw it in the trash, and wash your hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs that can cause respiratory illnesses like flu.
By doing the above actions, we will navigate this flu season and get everyone healthy again!